IIT Kharagpur has one of the largest DC (Direct Connect) networks in India. Users connect to hubs using DC clients, and are able to share files with each other at high speeds. The most popular hub is HiT Hi FiT Hai.
To quickly get started on Windows, see the Windows Quick Start Guide.
Current hub IP[edit | edit source]
The current HHFH hub IP is 10.105.12.22 (permanent) as of January 08, 2023. The current active hub is being maintained by MetaKGP.
Note: If you update this IP, please sign.
DC Setup[edit | edit source]
Install a DC client[edit | edit source]
- DC++ is one of the most popular DC clients (Windows).The official website is blocked so use this link to download.
- Linux DC++ is built on top of the DC++ core, and has a GTK+ interface (Linux).
- EiskaltDC++ is a cross-platform DC client (Windows, Linux and OS X).
- ncdc is a lightweight ncurses based DC client (Linux and OS X). An helpful guide on setting up ncdc can be found by Sai Ankit.
- ShakesPeer is a DC++ client that runs on Mac OS X with a native Aqua GUI (Mac OS X 10.4 or later)
Connect to a hub[edit | edit source]
- Read your DC client's documentation to figure out how to connect to a hub. GUI clients might have a button to do this easily.
- Find out the IP of the hub you want to connect to. HHFH usually updates its IP on its Facebook page.
- If you are using Windows, allow your DC client through firewall.
- Always operate your DC client in Active mode.
Windows Quick Start Guide[edit | edit source]
This guide is the simplest way to connect to [HiT Hi FiT Hai], a DC hub, on Windows. Other clients and platforms will be similar.
- Download and install DC++.
- Open DC++, go to File >> Settings >> Personal Information. Type any nickname. Press Enter. Other details are not mandatory.
- Go to File >> Sharing >> add folder option. Add at least 100 GB of data so as to search and download from DC.
- Wait for sometime for hashing to complete. Then restart DC++.
- Click on Quick Connect or press Ctrl+Q and enter Hub address.
- You can now use DC++, you can also change download location from settings but remember to share your DC Download folder.
Linux Quick Start Guide[edit | edit source]
This guide is for LinuxDC++ which is available as a flatpak package, which is a universal Linux packaging hence will work for all Linux distributions. (although the steps below have been tested for Manjaro (based on Arch Linux))
- Go here and download the file by clicking install.
- Open the terminalGive a couple of permission by 'Y', after a couple of minutes it will be installed and would be available from the application menu bar
cd <wherever you've downloaded the above file> flatpak install com.pypyrev.linuxdcpp.flatpakref
- Open LinuxDC++, File -> Preferences(BTW this will automatically open for the first time) -> Add personal information -> Go to sharing tab -> Increase upload slot to any value between 3 and 30.
- File -> Quick connect -> Enter HUB_ADDR -> Connect
Rules[edit | edit source]
* Minimum limit for connecting is: 0 GiB. For searching and downloading: 0 GiB. (Will be increased soon)
* Sharing pornography/NSFW links, on mainchat, is strictly prohibited.
* Fake sharing is NOT allowed here. Anybody found sharing fakes will be banned immediately.
* Mirror stuff that you download. You can be banned by VIPs for not mirroring stuff that you download.
* Don't share crap like Windows and Program Files directory. You can be kicked or banned for 1-3 hours.
* Upload speed limiting is strictly prohibited. Can lead to a minimum ban time of 8 hours.
If you don't have enough files[edit | edit source]
Disclaimer : It is recommended that you don't use fake file and share proper content. This method might get you banned.
The hub relaxes the sharing limit at the beginning of every academic year for new users to sign up and accumulate data. In case you need to share at some other point in time, try and collect data from friends or message the admins.
It's recommended to share whatever you download, this will help others download the same content from multiple people simultaneously. Ideally, one should have a 1:1 ratio of downloaded vs uploaded content, this includes and is not limited to ebooks, movies, installation files etc. The hub is maintained by the constant efforts from everyone to give back to the community, although not a new problem, users are requested to upload data whenever possible.
Troubleshooting[edit | edit source]
- One of the most common issue is DC++ not allowing users to download stuff when in passive mode, so go to Settings > Connectivity > Manual configuration and select Active Mode, now restart the client to download stuff.
- In case you are unable to solve your issue, feel free to message the Facebook page to get it resolved.
See Also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ "Which campus has highest total share and users on DC++ in India?". Quora. Retrieved May 1, 2015.